Is one of your New Year's resolutions cooking more meals at home to eat a healthier diet? If so, start with these clean kitchen habits from Carlolyn O'Neil, MS, RD, and resolve to keep the foods you eat healthy, safe and delicious by following five easy tips with every recipe you prepare.
5 Steps to be Safe at the Plate!
1. Wash hands with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds, before and after food prep.
2. Cook meats to the proper internal temperature for safety and good taste. Beef 145°F, Pork 145°F and Chicken to 165°F. All ground meats to 165°F.
3. Avoid cross contamination: use separate utensils, cutting boards and dishes for raw and cooked foods.
4. Rinse fruits and vegetables with cold running water to remove visible dirt.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within two hours; fridge temp should be at or below 40°F.
Learn more about how the Centers for Disease Control is working to decrease foodborne illness.
For more tips on safe cooking, www.foodsafety.gov.